Friday, March 26, 2010

Day 61 - Ahhh, The Weekend!

Martin and I are headed to the Carter's house tonight to see their new baby, Jonathan David. I love getting together with old friends. I guess I can call them that. I've known them almost 10 years and Martin has known Jayme since they were teenagers.

Tomorrow I am hoping we can work out in the yard together (remember, together is me doing one thing and he doing the other but still in the same area [see day 44 for explanation]). It's supposed to be cool but sunny. It's raining today so the ground will be easy to dig in (for new bulbs I bought) and rake (Martin's using a metal rake to rake up the old, dead grass and leaves that is now packed in the ground and not allowing new grass to grow). It's so weird that we actually have so many Saturday's free. For four years Martin had to use his Saturday's for studying but now we have the time to be together.

I'm going through Romans for my devotions. Some chapters go faster than others. Chapter seven is one of those slow ones. Not because I'm bored but because there are so many questions. I read verses 13 - 25 and wonder is Paul talking about himself before he was saved? He surely can't be talking about himself at that present time! THE Apostle Paul! But after reading several times in different translations then going to a commentary by John MacArthur, I think my questions were answered. In verse 19 he says, "For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice." This is me, even if I want to pretend I live most of my life victorious. MacArthur says that he believes Paul is seeing how evil his heart really is and admitting it and admitting it takes strong maturity. Oh to be as mature as Paul! And the more mature you are, the more you see how evil we all really are in the flesh. Then the best part of this chapter: verse 25a, "I thank God - through Jesus Christ our Lord!" It's all because of Him that we can fight off sin. That we see our sin. That we desire to be dead to sin. Thanks be to God for great things He has done!

2 comments:

Jayme said...

I am so glad you guys came over. We need to do it again real soon :) I love reading your blog!

Jayme said...
This comment has been removed by the author.