Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day 115 - These Are A Few Of My Favorite Books

I have three favorite books. For now (I reserve the rights to change these at any given time), they are (in no particular order):

1. The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawerence (17th Century dude - amazing little book)

2. The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer

3. Desiring God by John Piper

I try to read them every few years. They aren't easy reads. It took me over a year to read Desiring God the first time. Martin bought me The Pursuit of God on tape when we were dating. I just listened to it again a couple of years ago on my commute to my old job. Makes me sad I don't have a tape player any longer. It was one of the first books I read after I was saved. And my dad gave me his copy of The Practice of the Presence of God soon after I was saved. I just found it on my book shelf at home and have it on the table to dig into again. I think the thing I love about all three of these guys is the difference in their beliefs. I'd guess that Brother Lawerence had some catholic thinking in his theology and well, Piper and Tozer could be renamed Calvin and Armenian. But non-the-less, they all believed/believe Jesus is the only way to heaven and have great insight taken from the Word of God. And well, that's all that really matters.

I think you should share your favs. Because I love good reading. But please, don't put the Bible. I think it has it's own category. : )

No comments: