Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day 109 - Being a Legalist

Yup, I'm a legalist. I used to think legalist were the ones who only read KJV and wore skirts but it's much worse than that (not saying ALL KJV and skirt wearin' people are legalist). I'm not proud of it and I need to fight everyday to not be but I'm pretty sure Jesus would have an easy time letting me know if he were physically here. I get convicted often for comments I say (verbally and internally) about people. Sweeping comments that make them look like scum only because I want to look better. "Well at least I..." "I don't get how they can..." "Don't they realize..." These are the beginning of sentences that come out of my mouth and run through my mind. It all stems from pride - stupid pride.

I really wish there was a 10 step program that could rid me of being a legalist. But even if there is one out there it doesn't change the fact that my heart is the problem my words and actions are just the overflow of what's going on in there. I hate but love when sin is so evident to me. It's evidence of the Holy Spirit but it's what I do at that moment that really matters.

:::John Piper says::: "So legalism is the pursuit of the law with some other engine than faith, on some other steam that the Spirit. What is the engine of legalism? Paul calls it 'works' (Romans 9:32) and he calls the fuel of this engine 'flesh' (Galatians 3:3). 'Works' is the opposite of 'faith' and 'flesh' is the opposite of 'Spirit.' So legalism is not whether you strive to obey the commands of God, but which engine and which fuel you run on."

Good stuff.

:::Found this on theResurgence.com:::

How to Become a Legalist:
1. Make rules outside the Bible.
2. Push yourself to try and keep your rules.
3. Castigate yourself when you don't keep your rules.
4. Become proud when you do keep your rules.
5. Appoint yourself as judge over other people.
6. Get angry with people who break your rules or have different rules.
7. "Beat" the losers.

Anyone else have allergies all of the sudden? Gotta love May in Jersey! Hoping to call my mother tonight and also get some trim painted in the entryway, after the gym of course.

2 comments:

beccag said...

so I as I was reading this I was trying to think of anyone who doesn't struggle with legalism...thinking there couldn't possibly anyone...I judged everyone I knew into being a legalist...as I am too apparently :) such a vicious cycle

Sarah said...

It is a vicious cycle! I just wrote an email and started it out "Doesn't she realize..." I quickly stopped and remembered what I was doing! Terrible.