Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Day 297 - What's In A Name?

I haven't blogged much this month. It's been busy getting used to Martin's new job schedule and adjusting to the new crazy that we call life.

Saturday we filled out our application to our adoption agency. It took about an hour! I think God knew we needed a slow start to paperwork. Martin and I work well together when we are purposeful about it. Otherwise, it's a disaster.

Martin and I have been talking about names these last couple of weeks because we might be adopting a sibling group so we need to have several names in the back of our mind. And let me tell you, (which I know you all probably know this) it's hard! You think of a name then remember that your friend from college has a child with that name and it may be awkward to name your child that too. You throw out a name and your spouse says, Eww, no. I knew a kid in school with that name and he was so mean. And I've tried that whole, Then let's redeem the name mumbo jumbo and that went over like a lead balloon.

I want a name that isn't trendy but a name with meaning. Whether it's a family name or a biblical name or a personal name - but I'll say it again, it's hard! I don't want all of our kids to have the same first letter in their name. I'm not much of a pattern person.

I also have a hard time with meanings of names. Now, what I'm about to say is very Old Testament which can be VERY superstitious these days. Because I don't think God works in every way that he did back in the day. But my name is Sarah Elizabeth. That is TWO women that were barren for years in the Bible! So either it's nothing, a coincidence or I'm going to be getting preggers between the ages of 80 to 100. See? I know it sounds crazy but I'm just being honest. And you don't hear of many Jezebel's out there. That's all I'm saying.

I have decided to keep my name selection private (starting now). My friend Jayme did that until all four of her children were born and it not only kept the comments from friends and family at bay, it was also a great practice of self-control and I'm always looking to bring that one up on my Fruit of the Spirit list!

3 comments:

Sonya and Aaron said...

All I have to say is AMEN, AMEN, and AMEN to finding a name is HARD!!! I can't imagine trying to pick out multiple possibilities for different genders!! I will pray for you as I pray for us :))

Jayme said...

"love it" .....more power to you...I had a hard enough time with my one at a time....and YES, so much more fun to keep it secret. I would highly recommend it :)

Anonymous said...

Have you considered "Jack"...
:)